Friday, April 27, 2012

an ode to salad

Every time I make up a weekly menu, I never put salad as one of the items.  But when I go the store, I pick some lettuce up.  With the intention that you know, lettuce is good.  It's obliging.  You can put almost anything on it and it works.  Fruit, vegetables, cheese, heck, even chips.  Right?  So I buy it.  I even get organic lettuce.  I feel so virtuous when I buy it too.  Like I am doing the world a favor when I buy organic lettuce.  The world is thanking me, I think.  And I come home and place that plastic box of virtue in my chiller.  And it sits there.  And sits there.  And I look at it when I open my fridge, and I think, I really don't like lettuce.  Every time.  A week goes by, and I make the planned meals, and we eat them.  And i think, maybe I should make a salad?  But I don't really like salad.  No, I'll just make something else.  So I do.  And the poor lettuce.  It just sits there.  Until two weeks has gone by and I finally pick it up, and look at it.  Because it has gone slimy, and brown.  And I think, well that was a waste of three dollars.  I throw the blasted thing away.  And I not longer feel virtuous.  I have no longer given the world any kind of gift.  Just another plastic container to sit in a landfill.  And I slightly twinge.  I really don't like salad.  Maybe I should just stop buying it.  We have a lettuce patch in our back yard, I have a sinking feeling my husband will want to eat lettuce at every meal.  Lettuce.  Which means salad.  And seriously, I really don't like salads.  :)

1 comment:

  1. maybe we could make you a fake head of lettuce, out of felt or something, then it will never go bad and you won't feel the need to buy any, and you can always feel virtuous!!
    and you won't have to eat it.
    and i know how to write awesome run-on sentences.
    for real.

    ReplyDelete