I wish as a mom, I knew the right words to say to my kids at the right moment.
You know, like in the Cosby show. Or Full House, Que music and let the script for the perfect line begin.
But I don't.
Often times I feel like I have no clue what to say to my children. I scramble to find the most simple of things to say, that will make things all right for them at the moment of their current tragedy..Can I kiss that better? Do you need a hug? But those aren't going to fix my problem right now.
Right now, I am at a loss as to what to say to my daughter.
She is in the seventh grade. She feels like an outcast in her school. She feels like people stare at her. She feels like no one likes her. She thinks she is being ignore by everyone in the halls of her school. She is lonely. She spends almost all of her free time at home, with us. She never talks to anyone in her peer group on the phone, or online. She very rarely goes and hangs out with her friends (she very rarely gets invited to things). She does not want to go to Young Women's, because she feels left out there as well. Her best friend has left her behind and only calls if no one else is available. She is with us all the time. Tonight, she was sobbing, she was so lonely and so sad. I had no idea what to say to her! Her outlook on life is so depressing.
She tells me things like "well, sometimes life just sucks and there isn't anything you can do about it" and I have no idea why she feels this way! I would like to think her home life is pretty good. But I know that her life outside of it might not be so great. But this is a girl who just got on the high honor roll, who plays the piano like she was born to it, who reads seven books at a time, who is kind and gentle, who is silly and can make so many jokes, she is the girl who will help her little brother with his blocks, this is the girl who is so gentle....
I wish I could protect her from the social pressures of this world. I think she feels them very deeply. I know she is shy, and it takes a lot for her to get out of her shell. I don't know what she is like around people her age. I assume she is very shy and slightly awkward (weren't we all though) I want those lines from the family shows that make every thing okay for her. That change the course of the episode for her.
What do i tell this beautiful daughter of mine? What can i say that will make her life okay? I can't walk with her in those hallways..I wish I had a wand that would make it so sometimes. I want her to be happy.
What would you say to your child who was feeling lonely and sad and out of sorts?
No comments:
Post a Comment