So, have you ever been in a conversation and it's going great.
You're talking about kids, or the weather, or the last book your reading. Even the best movie you've just watched. The latest fashion, or the the last episode of Once Upon A Time.
And then it happens.
You've inserted your foot in your mouth, and sometimes it gets lodged in there pretty tight that the best thing to do is turn and run? But heaven forbid you do that! No, you'll just overstay your welcome just a little more and make it even worse.
Yep. That happened to me, last night.
I sat up all night thinking about what I could have said to make it better..oh, besides not saying anything at all? Yeah that would have been helpful.
How do I cure myself of this infliction? I seem to do this a lot. And I would like to think that I am a thoughtful and kind person who wouldn't say mean things. At least not on purpose. So when it happens, it's a thousands times worse I suppose. I toss and turn and can't believe I have done it. And I do it. ANYWAY.
I think my mind sometimes hasn't caught up with my mouth.
And how do you take back those words? You can't. Once they spew forth they are out there like unwanted spawn reeking havoc and you can't really do anything but watch those little devils do their work until the aftermath. And your left scrambling to pick up the pieces.
I once told my mom that her and my dad should have stopped having kids after my sister Jessica. Oops. I hadn't meant it, it was suppose to be a joke. Yeah, lovely joke right? I felt horrible for a week, and then went to apologize, and mom didn't remember it. But I felt horrible that i would even attempt to say something like that. Seriously. who says that?
And then last night, I'm waiting for my daughter at her lesson, talking with a dear friend, we're talking about what it would be like to move. And she said something like, her daughter would not like leaving her grandparents, because she loves being close to her grandparents, and stupid me, I say, "yeah, she would die if you did that" back story, this dear friend had lost a child a few years ago and her daughter has the same disease and yes, she might die too. See, great, EMILY. I didn't even realize what I had said till I had said it. I had just meant, she would hate being away from her grandparents. Yep, great choice of words.
See, foot in mouth.
I want this week to officially be over, like right now, this very minute. It really as been one of those weeks.
I made a similar mistake right after Dillon passed away. I was talking with his grandmother and we were being pretty lighthearted about different things kids do when we started talking about sleep patterns. I was referring to Kenzie and how she has never been a napper when I said "she just goes and goes and goes an then just drops dead wherever she is when she gets tired." I felt terrible, terrible, and I'm sure I'm the only one who remembers it. Don't beat yourself up (easier said than done, trust me I know) and time will make it better. Wish you still lived closely, I have lots of similar moments and it would be nice to hang out and chat occasionally. :)
ReplyDelete