Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fancy hasselback potatoes

I stumbled onto a website while looking for low-carb recipes. I am a fan of the South Beach diet, and found a great resource for recipes, Kalyn's Kitchen. While looking at her other site, I found this blog Purple Foodie and it had some amazing recipes on it that I wanted to try.

Strictly speaking, while on the first phase of the south beach diet, you are not allowed potatoes, but since it is the holidays and I found these pretty potatoes. Here is a link to her website, where you can enjoy the full creative force of this blogger. http://purplefoodie.com/hasselback-potatoes/
So, I started with some regular old Idaho potatoes found at my local Wal-mart. And tonight I made them. I didn't make the pesto, because I was in doubt that my kids would even eat these potatoes and adding a green sauce might have been asking too much of the little picky eaters. Here is the end result:



Here are some tips if you try and make these fancy potatoes..I would parboil the potatoes like it says too on the blog, I think it would help when you go to stuff the potatoes. And make sure to add enough garlic in it! Mine was lacking in the flavor department. Also, i would have used a brush instead of just drizzling the oil on. The bottom of the potatoes were really crunchy and it was slightly hard to eat. But all in all this recipe was fun to make, it called for a fanciness to my cooking, and I thought it was great and actually really easy.

And now I have to go and take care of the screaming, red faced terror who has been crying at my feet for the last five minutes...:) If you try these potatoes out, let me know! And visit the Purple Foodie, she has some really nice recipes that i am dying to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment